Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Spring Cleaning

I cleaned out my closet last week. I got home from work and was in one of those moods. The throwing out/getting rid of/spring cleaning mood. I have been like this for weeks. My husband is about to go nuts. Every time he turns around I am organizing a different part of the house. A closet, a drawer or some nook or cranny that has mass amounts of stuff crammed in it. I love the feeling of accomplishment I get after getting rid of unnecessary junk. It is quite shocking how much we have accumulated in a little less than three years of marriage. We are far from the "bare essential" kind of people. I opened up a box last week that had a ventriloquist doll in it. Seriously? I was forbidden to throw it out. **Sidenote: this is why our house is busting at the seams. I am not allowed to throw out any of Mr. Nash's collection of crap.** The doll is just creepy. Like the ones that come alive and then kill you in your sleep.

My closet was in desperate need of some attention. It is so hard for me to get rid of clothes. I am the type of person that attaches memories to articles of clothing. I still remember what I wore on my first date with my husband. Consequently, I still have the shirt, jeans and shoes because I can't bring myself to let them go even thought I know I will never wear them again. I always think, "I might wear that when I go to........" But the reality is I never will. So, I ceased the moment and stopped overanalyzing and just got rid. Three piles. Garage sale, Goodwill and Consignment. I have a feeling three piles will quickly become two. Two years ago when we had our 1st garage sale, I was insulted when these women would come up and ask me if I would take 50 cents for a shirt I knew I have paid big bucks for. I would say.... "You know this is designer, right?" I am sure I sounded snobby to them and I know they could have cared less. I finally sold all my clothes to this young mother who took everything remaining and gave me $25. As I packed everything up for her, I seriously felt sick at my stomach. Then I realized, she needed these clothes far more than I did and I felt so much better. So, here is the finished product. Looks tons better and I still have plenty to wear :)

4 comments:

Amanda Barefoot said...

don't feel bad. up until a couple months ago i still had a pair of silky leopard undies from 1997.

Fawn said...

that doll just creeps me out. seriously. everything about it. so, where does mr. nash keep his clothes? i know he has just as many as you ...

bucti

Miles of Smiles said...

I will get rid of something and then get really mad at myself 6 monyhs later because I can't find it.

the sweetest girl you know said...

1. Good for you! I need to get in a spring cleaning mood. So does Clint. Our garage is still crazy from when we moved in the new house. And Clint wears the same five shirts and two pair of jeans, yet he takes up half of the closet.

2. That doll is creepy and if I had to live in the same house with it, it would probably give me nightmares.