Tuesday, February 2, 2010
2009 Music Picks
Last year I blogged my top songs of 2008. You can reflect here. Another year has passed and in keeping with tradition here's a quick rundown of some of my favorite music from 2009. Enjoy!
1. Atlas Sound - Shelia
2. Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros - Home
3. Jay-Z feat. Alicia Keys - Empire State of Mind (there is something wrong with you if you don't like this song)
4. Passion Pit - Sleepyhead or Moth's Wings
5. Grizzly Bear - Veckatimest (whole album)
6. Phoenix - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix (whole album)
7. Camera Obscura - French Navy
8. Modest Mouse - Satellite Skin
9. Animal Collective - Summertime Clothes
10. Regina Spektor - The Calculation
11. The xx - Islands
**Bonus song that I wish I owned - The xx did a remix of Florence And The Machine You've Got The Love. It is incredible.
12. Yeasayer - Ambling Alp
13. Neko Case - This Tornado Loves You
14. The Decemberists - The Rake Song
**I should mention....this was the ONLY song on this album that I liked. I was extremely disappointed in this album as a whole but thought this song was worthy of a nod.
15. Andrew Bird - Fitz & the Dizzyspells
16. M. Ward feat. Zooey Deschanel - Never Had Nobody Like You
17. Fanfarlo - Reservoir (whole album)
18. Julian Casablancas - Out of the Blue
19. Dirty Projectors - No Intention
20. Broken Bells - The High Road (Thanks, Layni!)
I compiled my list independently, not to be swayed by anything on the Internet. After I was done I went to Pitchfork to see what people nominated for 2009. I also looked on NPR: All Songs Considered (b/c Bob Boilen is a musical god). There were a few variations but all in all I was right on target. I think this means I am a trustworthy source with excellent musical taste and you should give at least 5 of these songs an honest listen. In closing, I have admitted my minor obsession with Lady GaGa. I just couldn't pick one song. You know you would be lying to yourself if you said you never drove to work in the morning humming Poker Face or belted out a few lines of Bad Romance while in the shower. Happy listening in 2010.
at 4:20 PM